Sunday, July 23, 2006

And So It Goes…


Man oh man I'd find it extremely difficult to teach government in school right now. I'd have to constantly bite my tongue to avoid telling the children this is how government is supposed to work, but not how it currently works.
When school was canceled to accommodate a campaign visit by President Bush, the two 55-year-old teachers reckoned the time was ripe to voice their simmering discontent with the administration's policies.

Christine Nelson showed up at the Cedar Rapids rally with a Kerry-Edwards button pinned on her T-shirt; Alice McCabe clutched a small, paper sign stating "No More War." What could be more American, they thought, than mixing a little dissent with the bunting and buzz of a get-out-the-vote rally headlined by the president?

Their reward: a pair of handcuffs and a strip search at the county jail.

Authorities say they were arrested because they refused to obey reasonable security restrictions, but the women disagree: "Because I had a dissenting opinion, they did what they needed to do to get me out of the way," said Nelson, who teaches history and government at one of this city's middle schools.

"I tell my students all the time about how people came to this country for freedom of religion, freedom of speech, that those rights and others are sacred. And all along I've been thinking to myself, 'not at least during this administration.'"

Their experience is hardly unique.

BTW, I bet you didn't know the tongue was "a fleshy movable muscular process of the floor of the mouths of most vertebrates…"

(Merriam-Webster OnLine)

(read more)
Webding3.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home