Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'll beat this dead horse as long as necessary


Anonymous Liberal picks up the Padilla story.
Marty Lederman highlights a truly stunning document, a government declaration submitted to a federal court back in 2003 in defense of Jose Padilla's processless incommunicado detention. In it, Vice Admiral Lowell Jacoby, Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, argues that permitting Padilla any process whatsoever would interfere with the government's goal of convincing Padilla that he has no hope of ever being freed.

And that, my dear friends is how you break a person and turn them into a vegetable. But, hey, its in an effort to keep you and I safe, right?

Don't get me wrong. If Padilla is guilty of the charges leveled at him I'm all for trying him and, if found guilty, imprisoning him. If...he were mentally healthy. But this guy is completely lost and needs mental health care, not another cell.

Referring to beating a dead horse is both metaphorical and literal as I've posted about this poor man many times. A quick Google® search for "Padilla" on SPIIDERWEB™ generated 25 hits.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

It's unspeakable, and it cannot be covered enough. We discuss Padilla often.

They are now making him out to be some sort of wunderkind, simply b/c he filled out an application. He is not apprentice material.

What shameful behavior this administration has perpetrated. I yearn for my country to be restored to fitness.

--Lisa

8/16/2007 11:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home