Monday, August 20, 2007

Sikh girl may turn Catholic for US school admission

The infallible professional journalism folks.
A Sikh couple in Ohio is contemplating converting their four-year-old daughter as a Roman Catholic in order to get her admission to the school of their choice.

Baljit and Bal Singh said they would not mind changing their daughter's religion if it means she can attend the St Paul's Roman Catholic School in Wolviston, Cleveland, next month.

Their daughter Maya has been attending nursery at St Paul's for the past two years. But they were told a couple of days ago that there was no place available for Maya when she starts full-time education in a few weeks time.

Or maybe the headline should read like this:

Sikh girl may turn Catholic for Britain school admission
A Sikh couple in a village in Britain is contemplating converting their four-year-old daughter as a Roman Catholic in order to get her admission to the school of their choice.

Baljit and Bal Singh said they would not mind changing their daughter's religion if it means she can attend the St Paul's Roman Catholic School in Wolviston village, Cleveland, next month.

Their daughter Maya has been attending nursery at St Paul's for the past two years. But they were told a couple of days ago that there was no place available for Maya when she starts full-time education in a few weeks time. [all emphasis mine]

Usually the Japan Herald is much more careful than this, but hey, none of us are perfect, right?

BTW, the top item is their latest post.

I won't comment about commitment to religion and how this is sending a lousy signal to their little girl other than to say I won't comment.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mai said...

You won't comment, but I will. Eight members of my family were killed in the Delhi antiSikh riots in 1984. They could have run and probably have survived, but chose to stand and fight and die as Sikhs.

Did they die for this kind of nonsense? Do these silly parents owe something to those who went before? Or are they so weak that they let themselves be pushed around by a four-year-old?

I don't know whether to cry or puke. I can only hope they have the sense to change their minds.


I have also put this on my blogs.

8/21/2007 01:55:00 AM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

Its trite, but I morn for for your loss.

We never know how we'll react to aggression. Your family was brave and stood for themselves. I only hope I would be so brave.

These parents are repugnant.

OK, I guess I have commented.

8/21/2007 03:54:00 AM  
Blogger Mai said...

Compassion is never trite. Thank you.

I am on a one-woman mission to eradicate ignorance about what was done to us Sikhs by the government of 'the world's largest democracy' back in 1984. Please do me the favour of going to this link and reading our very personal stories about what happened to us. The Indian government still doesn't want these stories told, but I, at least, refuse to shut up.
http://mai-sometimes.blogspot.com/2007/08/our-stories-from-1984.html

Again, thanks.

8/21/2007 06:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home