Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Why This Word, Now?

Before I start, no I don't think this is a stretch. A stretch is when Bush says something and it really is true.

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary catalogues word searches on its site. The number one most frequently referenced word for 2005 is: INTEGRITY.

This word further breaks down to 3; incorruptability, soundness and completeness. Its synonym is HONESTY.

From whom do we ask integrity? Being hypocrites as most of us are, we don't ask it of ourselves. Nope. First and foremost we ask it of our leaders. So during the last year, were people searching for a loop hole so they could still believe their leaders had integrity, incorruptability, soundness and completeness? How about that old "honesty" part?

I surmise most Americans no longer find any of these words compatible with the word "leaders". They feel cheated, lied to, tarnished, afraid and angry. Merriam-Webster confirms it for them. There is no wiggle room within those words. Without modifiers such as "relative", integrity is pretty straightforward.

Oh yes, thank God for www.m-w.com. I have to carry around my driver's license so I can look up the spelling of my name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home