Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sometimes We I Make Mistakes Here At Spiiderweb

I had to update a recent post about a 16 year old bike messenger who delayed the end of WWII to stop and eat pancakes. It never happened.

I trusted the reporter from whom I got the story who, in turn, probably assumed the documentary film maker had done his homework and got the fact right. He hadn't. It was a reasonable assumption because it was a documentary film, after all.

However, I made a mistake in depicting it as an amusing story about a young man. Upon further reflection, if true, it would have been tragic. Who knows how many allied and Japanese troops would die during the time it took the boy to eat at a diner. The bloggers who were upset or outraged, and were responsible for the now 75 year old man and his family to deny the story, were absolutely correct in their assessment. Mea culpa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home