Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Road To Theocracy


Great. This is just what we need, the Dems joining Repugs in pandering to the evangelicals.
Sen. Barack Obama chastised fellow Democrats on Wednesday for failing to "acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of the American people," and said the party must compete for the support of evangelicals and other churchgoing Americans.

"Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation. Context matters," the Illinois Democrat said in remarks prepared for delivery to a conference of Call to Renewal, a faith-based movement to overcome poverty.

Obama's dead wrong. I agree when Obama says this.
"It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase `under God,'" he said.

Some do. Most don't I'm sure. I regularly went to a Presbyterian church as a child (even got prizes for not skipping Sundays). But I refused to say "under God" when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. I guess I was an early bloomer as a Progressive.

But just because children don't recognize oppression or brainwashing doesn't mean its not happening to them. Parents and churches are free to evangelize their children all they want to. I wouldn't, but I would never say others can't.

The state has no right getting involved. That's what religious freedom is all about. If I were Muslim or Buddhist and were raising my child in my religion I would tell my kid to refuse to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Furthermore, many Dems are religious and fully do understand how important religion is in people's lives. I agree their faith should be acknowledged, but please don't ask them to court evangelicals because usually court = pander. Placating or appeasing is fine, but politicians don't stop there.

(read more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home