Sunday, February 04, 2007

Federal Prosecutors Widen Pursuit Of Death Penalty as States Ease Off

I'm terribly sorry folks, but I just can't see anything Bush and his hyenas are doing with which I agree.

Disclaimer: At one time I was a proponent of the death penalty because I believed it was a deterrent. Gradually I realized it has almost no affect at all on how people behave. Now I'm very much opposed to the state killing people.
At a time when many states are backing away from capital punishment, the federal government is aggressively pursuing -- and winning -- more death sentences, including in jurisdictions that traditionally oppose them.

On Tuesday, federal prosecutors in New York persuaded a jury to give a death sentence to Ronell Wilson, a 24-year-old man convicted of killing two undercover detectives by shooting each in the back of the head. The decision -- the first time in more than 50 years that a federal jury in New York agreed to sentence someone to death -- marked something of a milestone for the Justice Department in its continuing effort to apply the death penalty more evenly across the country. [emphasis mine]

Oh well, I stand corrected. Federal prosecutors are just trying to level the justice playing field. Whatever was I thinking?

(read more)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home