Friday, June 01, 2007

Can you show compassion?

Its going to be interesting to see how everyone reacts to this story. Will people show compassion or anger or hatred?
An Atlanta attorney quarantined with a dangerous strain of tuberculosis apologized to his fellow plane passengers in an interview aired Friday, and insisted he was told he wasn't contagious or a threat to anyone.

"I've lived in this state of constant fear and anxiety and exhaustion for a week now, and to think that someone else is now feeling that, I wouldn't want anyone to feel that way. It's awful," Andrew Speaker told ABC's "Good Morning America" from his hospital room in Denver.

Sitting in street clothes but speaking through a face mask, he repeatedly apologized to the dozens of airline passengers and crew members now anxiously awaiting their own test results because of the exposure to him.

"I don't expect for people to ever forgive me. I just hope that they understand that I truly never meant to put them in harm," he said, his voice cracking.[emphasis mine]

I'll admit my first reaction, before reading his comments, made me angry. How could someone be so stupid and expose innocent people to this disease? Now he says he didn't know the danger and I'll take him at his word. Its reasonable. Only a very cruel person would pass on AIDES or TB. I give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I'm a fucking saint.

(read more)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home