Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Senate approves $23.6 bln for MRAPS for Iraq


Has anyone told these people this isn't Monopoly money?
The U.S. Senate on Monday approved $23.6 billion in additional funding for mine-resistant armored vehicles as part of a mammoth defense spending bill for the 2008 fiscal year that began Monday.

BTW, I'm completely losing count of how many variations there are on these vehicles. I've posted pix of several and all are different.

Do you want more fucking information than you need on these? I mean beside the fact HMMWVs were used before this.
This plans [sic] will virtually phase out the HMMWV from use in combat patrols and high risk missions. Responding to the urgent requirement, the Army plans to have all 17,700 MRAPs in theater by April 2009. [emphasis mine]

Isn't it funny how some details just seem to trickle out? Whoda guessed 2009?
The total procurement of MRAPs for all services could surpass 20,000 units, with an estimated procurement cost above $10 billion. However, the MRAP life cycle cost is expected to rise significantly above that level, due to the need for frequent damage repair resulting from high operational tempo and frequent battle damage. Some estimates value the program's life cycle cost at about $20 billion.

OK, got it. $10+ billion to procure them and $20 billion [at least?] to keep them operational? Is this any way to run a railroad?

Oh yeah, I'm so remiss. The story says $10+ billion to procure the vehicles and the headline says the Senate approves $23.6 billion. I guess I've forgotten all the maths I ever knew. I need 10+ and you approve 23+. K! I can live with that.

I'm thinking these vehicles can't live up to the fucking hype. They are immune to IED attacks except not most of the time.

Via Boston Globe.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been in one?If not maybe you should shut up.My platoon was hit 11 times by ied's in Afghanistan. They all came back alive thanks to this vehicle.

1/14/2010 08:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home