Thursday, November 08, 2007

Sloppy writing

When I scan the news, I do it quickly and can misread what's actually there or misinterpret. Once I've made my mistake, I'll consistently state that mistake throughout my writing. So a few times in the past (not many) I've had to re-write or pull a post because I discovered I'd not gotten the story right.

Hey, I'm a one man operation here.

But this is some writing I wouldn't expect from the International Herald Tribune.

Compare the emphasized words in the first paragraph with those in the second.
American forces have routed Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia from every neighborhood of Baghdad, a top American general said Wednesday, allowing for a reduction of U.S. troops to pre-surge levels and an increased focus on Shiite militias.

Major-General Joseph Fil, commander of U.S. forces in Baghdad, said that American troops have yet to clear 13 percent of the city, including Sadr City and several other neighborhoods controlled by Shiite militias. But, he said, "there's just no question" that violence has been reduced since a spike in June.

There are no direct quotes from the general about specific neighborhoods. The reporter may have them in his notes, but didn't present direct quotes. So its impossible to tell which statement above is correct.

See what I mean? Which is it: 100% or 87%? Just asking.*

*If either one is true, its still a big deal. Please don't get me wrong.

Via IHT.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home