Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Truth?

Another attempt to bring you the human side of fighting in Iraq.

Personal accounts always provide more impact than dispassionate reports or even TV in many cases.
A lot of people have commented with questions asking me about the truth about Baghdad. First there is no ever lasting truth in Baghdad. Is this sudden relative calm a lasting change or a lull before the storm? Nobody really knows.

The violence has dropped to levels of 2005, I still wake up to shooting outside the windows and we hear explosions that shake our desks or sometimes are just a distant boom. Now bombs are killing one or two in Baghdad, it has been a long time since they've killed tens or hundreds. Thank God for any moment of peace for Iraqis.

Via Baghdad.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeb Koogler said...

It's really hard to know what to make of what's going on there. Yesterday's NYT article which touted Baghdad as a changed city is hard to take at face value. While I want to believe it, most of the reports I've read say it's merely a lull in the fighting. With no national reconciliation, I doubt that the decrease in fighting is going to last. I mean, we're providing arms for Sunni militia groups while we train the Shia-dominated security forces. That's not exactly a brilliant strategy.

So, it's hard for me to imagine that Baghdad's peace will last. I sure hope I'm wrong, of course.

11/21/2007 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

I would hope you're wrong too, but seriously doubt it.

Fighting waxes and wanes and this is probably just a temporary lull.

It still doesn't sound like Baghdad is somewhere I'd like to spend a holiday.

11/21/2007 04:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home