Thursday, February 14, 2008

Music

Its about music, but probably not what you'd expect.

If you aren't an audio buff you can skip this whole post.

In addition to the items listed below I used to have a Pioneer turntable with a head that cost more than most turntables, two cassette decks, two CD players and a tape noise reduction unit. Not to mention the reel to reel. I could find pictures for none of those.

2 Channel, 12 Band Graphic Equalizer by?
Not the same, but similar to the picture.



Phase Linear 5000 Tuner



Phase Linear 4000 Preamplifier


Phase Linear 400 Power Amplifier

But one (two of) the prides of that system were the speakers. Below is the best picture I could find. Mine had black grills and were oak. They also were not Klipschorn, but replica kits from Speakerlab.


Klipschorn Corner Horns

Its not apparent in the picture, but they were nearly 3 feet wide and about 4 feet tall.

The beauty of that system is, no matter where you were in the house, you would swear there were live musicians in that room and regardless of volume the system was accurate with every high, mid-range and low.

And if you cranked it up, which I was known to do, you guaranteed neighbor complaints after a while. One neighbor said his bedroom wall was vibrating. Of course I turned it down for him.

At the time I lived on a fairly small lake. One day a neighbor from the other side of the lake came over and thanked me for the afternoon concert. It was summer and the doors were open.

Everything's gone now, but it was fun while I had 'em.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger daveawayfromhome said...

Wow. Great speakers. Are the Phase Linears tube or solid (I forget, it's been years since I dabbled in audio). I've got a Dynaco Stereo 70 sitting idle in the garage, since my wife doesnt trust anything that makes that much heat. The in-house stereo is an old Yamaha, which has also sat idle for most of my marriage. These days it's almost all iPod and earbuds, which isnt really the same.

I dream sometimes of putting the iPod and the Stereo 70 together, but I need your speakers first.

2/15/2008 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

I think it was George Carlin who said the difference between humans and animals is we aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners.

Well, the difference, usually, between men and women is women don't understand stereo. Hell, by wife can't even hear the sound separation.

All my Phase Linear equipment was solid. (sigh!). I miss the ol' McIntosh equipment.

Had a slight problem with one Phase Linear component and actually met Bob Carver when I went in for repairs.

Kewl guy.

Speakerlab still has the corner horn kits, but they're not nearly as large. Have heard them. They're fairly the equivalent, but not quite the same "kick ass" sound.

My speakers were ALL HORN. A horn tweeter, an approximately 6" by 2' mid-range horn and...and...and...

A 15" woofer in a folded horn design. Specs I read said the folded horn, if unfolded would be 27' long.

The woofer was slightly out of phase with the other horns, but nothing I could detect.

Gotta go now because I need to cry. I miss that system more than I miss my X-wife.

2/16/2008 07:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home