Sunday, June 25, 2006

This Is Gonna Drive Many People Crazy

The 300 millionth person to arrive in the US will probably be Hispanic.
The U.S. population is on target to hit 300 million this fall and it's a good bet the milestone baby - or immigrant - will be Hispanic.

No one will know for sure because the date and time will be just an estimate.

But Latinos - immigrants and those born in this country - are driving the population growth, accounting for almost half the increase last year, more than any other ethnic or racial group.

I wonder if it will be an "anchor baby".

(read more)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the US population is growing at a rate of .91% according to the CIA, that's 2.71 million new inhabitants per year.

Being 3rd largest, that's a pretty impressive leap annually. It also means that the US economy is gonna keep on growing to sustain the growth in population. This has horrible implications on energy usage in a well developed economy like that of the United States.

6/26/2006 02:04:00 AM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

I've meant to throw this out there, but hadn't done.

In my family, my grandfather had my father. My father had me. I had a son who also had a son. At this point my grandfather died. Also at this point, each birth is offset by a death at approximately the same time.

So my grandfather, by doing no more than replacing himself, and each of us doing the same, added 400% to the population.

That's the math of one person only replacing themself. This excludes disease, accidental deaths and wars of course, but there ya go.

And to complicate the math even more, my grandfather had two sons. One son had 2 kids. My father had 4. Ignoring my uncle and siblings, I've had 3 kids so far.

Why we aren't up to our necks in people is a mystery to me.

As for energy usage, it will be a disaster that may end human and most other life on the planet. Damn! We should have been born cockroaches or rats or something.

6/26/2006 07:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home