Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why Are You Here?

I'll periodically post such as this. Things are so much worse than you can imagine in Iraq.
The young man on television was probably 16 years old. But he looked so young, his face chubby with baby fat, his lips poised in a child's pout.

"Why are you here," the Vice President of Iraq, Tariq al Hashemi, asked.

"I don't know," he said. "They hit me and hit me and hit me until they made me admit to something I haven't done. What can I do?"

Hashemi was visiting the Iraqi prison for juveniles with camera men. He asked them to film.

The Vice President is the only man from the Sunni Iraqi Accordance Front left in the government. With his veto power the party hoped his presence would keep pressure on the government to succumb to their demands. The ministers have resigned, the one who refused to was removed from the party. One of their grievances were all the men imprisoned who are innocent, most Sunni Arabs.

Via Baghdad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home