Wednesday, October 17, 2007

In defense of Ann Coulter

That isn't my headline. It belongs to Simon who I quote below.
God, I never thought I’d ever write a subject header like that, but I’ve grown tired of journalists who get outraged when people dare to criticize a religion–acting as if they’re akin to being racist or bigoted.

If you’re not privy to what has happened– Ann Coulter appeared on a CNBC show, and in an interview with Donny Deutsch, said that Jews should become “perfected” by converting to Christianity. Her argument was that Christianity was the correct religion, and that Jews should accept the New Testament, thereby “perfecting” their religion.

Now, I don’t agree with her conclusion, but I disagree with Deutsch’s reaction:
DEUTSCH: But that’s what you said — don’t you see how hateful, how anti-Semitic …How do you not see? You’re an educated woman. How do you not see that?

Well, Deutsch, how do you like this: Judaism is bullshit. And I’m not hateful or bigoted for saying so, because Judaism, like all religions, is a belief system. Of course Coulter thinks her religion is the better one, that’s why she subscribes to it; if she thought another religion were better, she would follow it.

I can't disagree with anything Simon says, per se.

On the intellectual level Simon is right, but there are different levels.

I've criticized Israel on how they treated Lebanon and, if I haven't, should have criticized Israel on its treatment of Palestine. In addition, I've been critical of the Israel Lobby which really is the tail wagging the dog when it comes to US foreign policy.

To me these were objective criticisms of Israel, not Judaism, no more than finding fault with US actions in Iraq is attacking the religions of Americans.

However, I believe Ann Coulter is anti-Semitic. She's also talking in winger speak. She knows the wingers will understand what she's really saying and will jump for joy.

Via Bloggasm.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Librocrat said...

Yeah... I don't really agree with him, and told him so.

10/18/2007 02:33:00 AM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

This is a huge difference I see between progressives and wingers. Progressives don't walk in lock step. We can debate and disagree which is very healthy.

Wingers are usually uncomfortable unless toeing the party line.

10/18/2007 07:46:00 AM  
Blogger Librocrat said...

"Toeing" implies some sort of noble unity. I'd say it's more like dry humping the party line.

10/18/2007 02:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home