Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Young pimps his gas-guzzler to run on electricity


1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

OK, the Reagan thing bothers me, but he's still a hero of mine.

Have I ever claimed to be perfect? Nope. Not gonna happen.
Americans are finding ways to keep their love affair with big, fast automobiles alive in the era of $3-a-gallon petrol and concern for the environment. This week the singer Neil Young, who is an enthusiast of 1950s vintage big fantail cars, is making his way to Wichita, Kansas, in the heart of the US. The car he's driving is a Lincoln Continental Mark IV, one of the greatest gas-guzzlers of them all, and one of the largest cars ever to hit the open road. Immensely stylish with a wide front grille and neo-deco bumpers at either end, it is also one the most polluting vehicles to have ever graced Route 66.

An avid collector of vintage American cars, Young – who once endorsed Ronald Reagan – has only recently turned to environmentalism. With the release of his new album, Chrome Dreams II, he is on an odyssey across America, documentary film crew in tow, figuring out how Americans might keep the romance of the open road while caring for the environment.

Mr Young and his crew are taking the car he calls Linc-Volt to Wichita, where it will be converted into a 100mph diesel-electric hybrid running on renewable fuel. Motor enthusiasts say it is like putting a Toyota Prius on steroids.

The story doesn't say what year Neil's Continental is nor the color, but I'm guessing 1972 and black.

Fuck. I'd have one if I had the money.

Shit I hate this. I post and then other things come to mind because my mind is, lets say, somewhat tenuous.

I rarely drive and never far, so power and speed trump gas mileage and pollution. I'm not a total asshole. Close, but not total.

Via The Independent.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Librocrat said...

Somehow I read the title of this as:

"Young pimps have gas-guzzlers run on electricity."

Pause for hilarity.

10/31/2007 04:55:00 AM  
Blogger SPIIDERWEB™ said...

The headline threw me until I read the story.

Goddamn young pimps!!!1!!

10/31/2007 08:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home